In response to the Syrian Refugee Crisis in 2015 an appeal for knitters to join a knitting group at The Avenue Church was made. Since we started in November 2015, 275 blankets and a total of 817 adult, children and baby newly knitted clothes and soft toys have been sent to the Knit for Peace HQ in London.
Once received by Knit for Peace HQ items donated are distributed to over 300 outlets – charities, hospital, refugee camps, homeless hostels and women’s refuges. Recently, they were able to provide blankets, trauma teddies and knitting kits to help the survivors of the Grenfell Tower Disaster and 15,000 items, everything from blankets to baby clothes, were sent to Syria in July.
Knit for Peace also pass on donations of yarn and needles to enable people on low incomes and those in refugee camps to enjoy the benefits of knitting alone or with others.
For more information visit the Knit for Peace website www.knitforpeace.org.uk
HOW YOU CAN HELP – only new knitted or crocheted items required
- Come and join The Avenue Church Knit for Peace Group.
- We meet between 2 – 4 pm in the Small Hall at Avenue Church on the following Tuesdays:
2017 – Oct 10th, Nov 14th.
2018 – Jan 9th, Feb 13th, March 13th, April 10th, May 8th, June 12th, July 10th.
- Knit or crochet at home and bring it to The Avenue Church and we will send it to Knit for Peace HQ
- Pass on to us unwanted yarn and needles to be sent to Knit for Peace HQ.
- Help us with the cost of sending the parcels to London – approximately £13 per month.
For more information please ring Jenny Dainton on 01626 335923